On this episode of The Foodpreneur, we’re talking about how a burned out golf instructor’s Spring Break trip to Florida lead to the vision and creation of a quickly growing healthy beverage company with Jason Petrou, founder of Clean Energy Organics.
Episode 26: Cleaner Energy Organics w/ Jason Petrou
Time Stamped Show Notes
- [1:08] — Growing up just north of Boston, Mass., Jason’s family was in the restaurant business.
- [2:33] — Jason’s many years of bar tending experience helps him when he creates flavor combinations for his drinks.
- [6:10] — In his early 20’s, Jason began focusing more on the nutritional values of the food he ate. Jason started to pay attention to how certain foods made him feel and cut out sugar, rather than eating a bunch of junk food all the time as he did in the past.
- [9:30] — Jason’s “ah-ha moment” came during Spring Break in Panama City, Florida when he and a friend noticed that small, energy shot drinks littered all over the floor and in every garbage.
- [14:45] — Jason used friends, family, personal savings, loans and other investments to get his company started.
- [15:43] — Jason began by producing the bare minimum of his product and selling locally to health clubs, gyms and specialty food stores.
- [20:02] — Jason’s biggest learning lesson came when his co-packer gave him a last minute heads up that, after a long waiting period, they would begin to create his products the following day.
- [24:49] — In the immediate future, Jason plans to expand his company in the Northeast Region of the United States.
- [25:53] — Jason explains his stance on food labels such as organic, non-gmo, fair trade, etc.
- [28:18] — Jason’s uses green coffee bean extract as the main source of clean energy in his product.
- [32:31] — Jason takes on Elan as they enter the infamous “Pressure Cooker Round.”