On this episode of The Foodpreneur, we’re on the road in the Wholesam Food Truck, with Sami Udell, founder of Wholesam. From starting a food truck in Los Angeles, California, to becoming a personal chef for multiple a-list celebrities..Sami, a young visionary in her mid-twenties, helps us dream big and work hard towards our goals.
Episode 24: WholeSam w/ Sami Udell
Time Stamped Show Notes
- [1:32] — Sami grew up in the Midwest and ate, what she describes, as the “standard American Midwest diet,” consisting of highly processed foods.
- [4:40] — Sami decided to move out to Los Angeles to take a job in sales at a superfood company. Though it was a good job, she still wanted more substance. So she decided to follow her passion of health and cooking and start learning nutrition science on the side.
- [6:09] — After catering one of her brother’s networking parties, Sami was praised by her brother’s guests. One of which being the rapper/actor Ludacris’ good friend who would later connect Sami with the star.
- [10:00] — Sami didn’t want to go to culinary school, so she got a job in a restaurant. “The restaurant business isn’t there so much to teach you, as it is to polish you,” Sami stated when talking about honing her kitchen skills.
- [12:40] — One night at her brother’s birthday party, Sami’s brother’s friend told Sami she should, “start her own thing,” which gave Sami the idea to start her truck.
- [13:32] — Sami decided to launch a kickstarter for startup capital. After receiving money, love, and support from many, many people her vision was solidified. Sami was set to open her own food truck.
- [15:15] — Before WholeSam, Sami’s first brand was called “Healthy in the Woods.” Once she left the woods and “came back to society,” she realized she wanted to chance her branding. After a quick brainstorm, Sami came across the name WholeSam to encompass her love for wholesome, nutritious cooking and her name.
- [17:20] — One of the hardest things about running the WholeSam Food Truck is managing people and hiring.
- [19:11] — “One of the coolest parts of the food truck industry is that people think it’s a really fun industry… people really want to work on the truck.
- [21:18] — Sami’s goal with WholeSam is to connect healthy food with the contemporary “foodie.”
- [22:16] — Sami shares her vision for the future of WholeSam.
- [25:04] — Sami believes that it’s important to eat organic food, however she also believes that all of the labels out on the market can be confusing to the average consumer.
- [27:00] — Sami goes head to head with Elan in the infamous, “Pressure Cooker Round.”