On this episode of The Foodpreneur, we’re celebrating National Pumpkin Seed Day inspired by healthy snacking and gourmet pumpkin seeds with Kathie Pelliccio, founder of SuperSeedz. Learn how Kathie’s desire to spice up her daily salads turned a little known seed into one of the fastest growing healthy snacks on the market!
Episode 21: Superseedz w/ Kathie Pelliccio
Time Stamped Show Notes
- [1:01] — Kathie always saw herself being involved with food as a career. However, it wasn’t until later in life, after having five kids, that her gourmet seed company fell into place.
- [3:21] — Kathie began her career in food with her own coffee truck, shortly after she sold her coffee business she began catering.
- [4:42] — In November of 2003, Kathie began to sell her pumpkin seeds at a local fair where she sold $1000 worth of seeds.
- [7:58] — Kathie used small, plastic deli containers as her first packaging model.
- [13:07] — “I can’t tell you what’s next, but I can tell you that I’m in the kitchen working on some new ideas.”
- [14:19] — Kathie shares her thoughts on the importance of food labels in recent years and the role it plays for sustainability and so on.
- [17:01] — Kathie’s favorite part of working in the food industry is witnessing the reaction of her customers and consumers the first time they try her product.
- [18:56] — Kathie takes on Elan for the final few questions in the “Pressure Cooker Round.”