On this episode of The Foodpreneur, we’re talking Rabbits, granola and a charitable program that delivers wholesome food to kids who face hunger with Alison Bailey Vercruysse, founder of 18 Rabbits Organics. Learn how Alison turned a childhood household dietary restriction into a passion for organic food and baking, going on to build a nationally recognized granola and bar brand with a mission to give back!
Episode 23: 18 Rabbits Organics w/ Alison Bailey Vercruysse
Time Stamped Show Notes
- [1:22] — Alison grew up in Texas and has many early memories of eating tex mex cuisine. When Alison’s mom developed an illness, she began to cook healthier food for Alison and the rest of the family.
- [3:36] — Alison’s family did not have cans, boxes, or any processed foods in her household as a kid.
- [7:21] — After college Alison realized that she had a great talent for cooking and baking.
- [10:25] — After realizing her love for food writing, Alison went on to apprentice as a pastry chef and later got into catering.
- [15:17] — Alison tells us how she was able to get her granola onto shelves in Whole Foods and a few other stores.
- [20:00] — Alison explains how her customers are the biggest catalysts in her company’s growth so far.
- [24:54] — “By virtue of being organic, you can actually not be GMOs…” Alison said to Elan in regards to her thoughts on food labeling.
- [29:18] — Alison was lucky enough to have some great peers and mentors to lean on when she first launched 18 Rabbits. Alison shares what’s next for her company.
- [32:57] — Alison is currently working on making her products and packaging more eco friendly.
- [34:40] — Alison takes on Elan in the legendary, “Pressure Cooker Round.”