On this episode of The Foodpreneur, we’re getting passionate about entrepreneurship and flavor-bursting, plant-based protein chips with Mark Samuel, founder of iWon! Organics. Hear the story behind Mark’s quest to create the highest quality, best tasting, organic protein chip on the market and what it truly takes to win in business and in life!
Episode 18: iWon! Organics w/ Mark Samuel
Time Stamped Show Notes
- [1:14] — Mark grew up in the Bay Area of San Francisco where he grew up wondering his father’s warehouse who was involved in the food industry.
- [3:19] –Mark played soccer in College which sparked his interest in health and fitness.
- [5:07] — Mark’s first venture in the health and fitness space was a meal prep bag and accessories company.
- [8:11] — As Mark was in the process of getting the logistics to launch his company, Quest launched their line of protein chips.
- [10:06] — Mark describes the process and challenges of starting his business.
- [14:14] — “This is not a tortilla chip, this is not a potato chip. We have completely reversed the system.”
- [19:25] — Mark isn’t quite sure about the future of our food system and what the labels will do in the big picture, from a cultural standpoint.
- [26:44] — Mark shares how he came up with his chip recipe.
- [31:49] — “I am on a mission to get this (his protein chips) great.”
- [34:48] — Mark really wanted to focus on retail and not e-commerce to start iWon.
- [36:01] — “I came up with the name of the company out of the blue, and I have about 10 other names that I would have named it.”
- [39:41] — One of Mark’s pivotal moments he’s had since the launch of his company was hiring on versatile operations and sales managers.
- [41:02] — Mark’s biggest lesson he’s learned was that, “you’ve got to get the product right before you launch.” It can’t just be good enough.
- [42:25] — Mark shares what he believes the future of iWon Organics looks like.