On this episode of The Foodpreneur, we’re talking healthy, edible cookie dough with Mike Dove, founder of the San Clemente Cookie Dough Company. The story of how a 30-year professional electrician turned his daughter’s skin issues into a promising healthy treat company!
Episode 17: San Clemente Cookie Dough Co. with Michael Dove
Time Stamped Show Notes
- [1:15] — A San Clemente Native, Michael Dove has fond memories of his parents experimenting with new ideas in the kitchen. Dove grew up in the 1960’s were prepared food wasn’t common and cooking was necessary.
- [2:39] — For 37 years Dove has worked as an electrician and continues to do so.
- [6:15] — “With 8 kids, we go through 8-10 gallons of milk per week… and it’s not just the kids. Every kid has 2-3 friends.”
- [7:59] — Dove has been the cook in his household for years. After work he, “dusts himself off” and gets to cooking.
- [8:56] — Dove finalized his cookie dough recipe after months of trial and error with only a pen, pad and some engineer-esque note taking.
- [10:12] — Dove became inspired to start his healthy cookie dough business after his daughter requested he make her healthy snacks to bring to college.
- [12:48] — All of Dove’s ingredients are organic, vegan, gluten-free, and kosher certifications. Dove goes in detail about the quality of ingredients he uses.
- [16:32] — Dove speaks on the origin of the name of his company, San Clemente Cookie Dough Co.
- [19:22] — Dove tells us how he initially financed his new business.
- [21:45] — “I had to limit the amount of water I used to make the product because water is a host for bacteria.”
- [23:32] — Dove explains the challenge of finding sourcing and production in the “tight lipped” food and beverage community in his area.
- [25:45] — “If you have a product that is very delicious, I really believe that you are not going to have much resistance.”
- [29:15] — Dove believes people desire food that makes their bodies feel good and supports a sustainable, healthy lifestyle… “the only thing that restricts this movement is cost.”
- [31:20] — Dove tells us what the future of his company looks like.
- [34:23] — Dove explains what he believes are the benefits of keeping a positive mindset.
- [39:40] — The first lesson Dove would teach in his hypothetical class would be that, “there is always a higher power than oneself.”