On this episode of The Foodpreneur, we’re talking authentic Mexican salsa with Heidi and Nikki, founders of Heidi’s Salsa. How two West Coast friends quit their jobs to follow their dreams, won a local food competition and launched a national Salsa brand.
Visit them @ HeidisSalsa.com
Episode 12: Heidi’s Salsa w/ Heidi and Nikki
Time Stamped Show Notes
- [1:15] — Heidi and Nikki both grew up in the Los Angeles area, but come from different backgrounds.
- [3:17] — Heidi’s most vivid food memories where outdoor BBQs and cooking with family as a child.
- [5:46] — Heidi and Nikki met eachother at Loyola University in Los Angeles, CA. Both of the women take pride in their Los Angeles nativity.
- [8:01] — One day, after 10 years working in marketing and advertising, Nikki and Heidi decided to quit their jobs and work their way into a farmers market to sell their products.
- [10:05] — After pressure from her friends and family, Heidi entered her salsa recipe into the Los Angeles farmers market salsa competition. The competition was fierce; there were 12 separate entries, and she won 1st place!
- [12:21] — Once Heidi and Nikki moved away from the farmers market and began to work with a food chemist, they started to realize how difficult the food business can be.
- [14:52] — Heidi and Nikki have learned a number of interesting things from working with a food chemist; an occupation that neither Heidi nor Nikki knew existed before they started their company.
- [18:39] — To get their start, Heidi and Nikki borrowed money from friends and family.
- [21:30] — “Salsa is becoming America’s number 1 condiment.”
- [24:31] — Heidi and Nikki made the decision to keep their product “clean and natural” from an early stage.
- [27:20] — “It’s exciting to see all of these young companies starting with the objective to be healthy and transparent.”
- [29:25] — Heidi and Nikki’s biggest learning lesson was, “learning how to push back and protect our margin and what we needed to make to stay in business.”
- [33:49] — Justin’s Peanut Butter is the company that Heidi and Nikki look up to the most.